Thursday, September 23, 2010

True English Fish 'N Chips



     The other day at the Dining Hall I actually enjoyed a piece of beer-battered haddock, unbelievable, I know. It brought back so many memories of my trip this past summer to Bristol, England to visit my sister. This puny piece of fish was nothing compared to the juicy and delicious piece of broiled cod I had numerous times in England. There are two parts of the English "Fish 'N Chips," the fish and the chips. Might sound like a recipe that can be easily perfected, however, as Americans, we get it so wrong. The English, however, are the masters. The fish covered in this golden, crispy, perfect tasting crust only magnifies the excellence of the fresh fish. The chips are not potato chips at all! "Chips" in England refer to french fries. English Chips are like fresh cut steak fries, crispy on the outside and warm potato on the inside, perfect! There are two condiments that are a necessity in England, salt and malt vinegar. The acidity of the vinegar pairs perfect with the saltiness. As you can see from this post, Fish 'N Chips was my absolute favorite meal in England, and I hope one day I will be able to experience that meal again. And I hope you, too, get a chance to partake of a True English Fish 'N Chips!

Crispy, Crunchy, Deliciousness  
Absolutely enjoying my Fish 'N Chips with the Necessary Salt and Vinegar!

No comments:

Post a Comment